While I make my living suing people, I think all clients should be advised of the top ten reasons not to file a lawsuit. I offer this list:
- You owe your opponent more money than he or she owes you.
- You don’t want to turn over relevant documents to your opponent’s lawyer or they are already shredded.
- You fired all of your employees who are knowledgeable about the dispute.
- You lack the time to educate your lawyer about the dispute, retrieve relevant documents, or give a deposition.
- You think that all witnesses tell the truth.
- You regard yourself as superior to jurors or the Judge.
- You believe that just by filing the lawsuit, you will get a settlement.
- Your opponent has no money to pay a judgment.
- Your company or key witnesses must continue to do business with your opponent or his or her allies.
- The cost of the lawsuit is more than you would benefit with total victory.
If none of your clients are now contemplating a lawsuit, print and save.